Two Commercial Fires in Less Than 30 Minutes
Just before 10:00 on December 11, Metro Firefighters were dispatched to a structure fire in a strip mall at 7861 Greenback Lane in Citrus Heights. Crews arrived to find smoke coming from the roof and quickly initiated fire attack. The fire had started in the fascia above Northridge Music and spread to the area above the other businesses. Two occupancies sustained interior water damage, as firefighters were able to hold the fire to the area above the units. Damage is estimated at $50,000 and the cause was determined to be electrical in nature. No injuries were reported.
Just a few minutes later, crews responded to an apartment complex at 5401 Garfield Avenue for report of black smoke from an apartment. Crews arrived to find fire in a downstairs unit and quickly extinguished it, saving the adjoining apartments from fire damage. The fire, which had started in the kitchen and spread to the living room and bedroom, caused major damage to the apartment. The unit directly above the fire unit sustained structural damage; residents of both units were displaced by the fire. Damage is estimated at $50,000, and the cause was determined to be unattended cooking.
Cooking remains the number one cause of home fires, causing more injuries than any other type of fire. Knowing what to do can make all the difference. Never leave unattended food cooking on the stove, even for a short time. If you encounter a small grease fire, leave the pan where it is, turn off the heat, and put a lid on it. If you can’t get a lid on the pan, use a fire extinguisher or call 911.