How To Decide If A Cat Is Right For You
Photo courtesy of Paramount Home Media Distribution
One fun way to learn how entertaining cats can be is to watch the animated film “Puss In Boots,” about a legendary feline hero.
(NAPSI)—Cats can be loving, loyal, feisty or fierce—and if you saw the hit movie “Puss In Boots,” then you know one cat can embody all those traits and more. Adopting a cat can be a “purr-fectly” wonderful idea as long as you understand the commitment that comes along with it. Before bringing a cat home, consider these tips from Madeline Bernstein, president of the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles (spcaLA):
• Evaluate your needs. Are you ready to make the commitment to a pet? Cats can live up to 18 years. On average, pet care costs about $400 a year.
• Visit a pet adoption center. Don’t shop when you can adopt. Shelters have many cats to choose from and adoption saves lives.
• Questions? Ask the staff. The shelter staff can often tell you the animal’s personality traits, likes, dislikes, temperament, breed, and activity level. Keep your options open. A pet doesn’t have to be a kitten to be a loyal companion.
• Patience. Be patient. You may need to visit the adoption centers a few times before you find the cat that’s right for you.
• Decide as a family. Does the cat get along with everyone and how does everyone get along with the cat?
• You made a decision, now what? Here are some items you should have before bringing your new cat home: ID tag and breakaway collar, cat food, pet bowls (2), litter box (rule of thumb: one for each cat, plus one), litter and scooper, toys, treats, scratching post, cat carrier (for vet trips/ emergencies) and a plan for veterinary care.
• We love our new cat, but we’re having some issues. Don’t give up. The solution may only require a slight adjustment in behaviors. spcaLA has an Animal Behavior Hotline at (888) SPCALA-1, x260 to answer pet behavior questions.
Even if you’re not quite ready to commit to a real cat, you can still enjoy how entertaining they can be by watching DreamWorks Animation’s “Puss In Boots,” which is now available on Blu-ray and DVD. This hilarious origin story of the notorious fighter, lover and outlaw tells the true tale of how Puss became a hero long before he met Shrek. Featuring the extraordinary Antonio Banderas as the voice of the irresistible and legendary cat, “Puss In Boots” boasts a sensational cast of voice talent including Salma Hayek, Zach Galifianakis, Billy Bob Thornton and Amy Sedaris.