Spring Into Action To Keep Allergies At Bay This Season
Protect your skin and don’t let allergies get you down this season.
(NAPSI)—According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the 2011-2012 winter is the fourth warmest on record. The mild weather is triggering an unusually early release of pollen that causes pesky allergy symptoms. Beyond the itchy eyes, sneezing and runny nose, one overlooked side effect of allergies is dry or irritated lips.
“Managing allergy symptoms is paramount to get through the season, and it starts with the skin, as it is the first line of defense,” said Dr. Charles Zugerman, associate professor of clinical dermatology at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. “Dry and cracked lips cause fissures in the skin, leaving them more susceptible to infection. Additionally, by relieving the lip discomfort, allergy sufferers also feel better, which in turn helps them rest and recover.”
Zugerman recommends keeping a moisturizing lip balm on hand, such as Blistex Cold & Allergy Lip Soother, especially developed to provide comforting relief and protection for lips that are feeling under the weather due to allergies. A few other ways to alleviate allergy symptoms include:
• Use an air purifier to remove contaminants from the air, such as dust, pollen and pet dander.
• Ensure that your vacuum has a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter. A vacuum without this filter may make allergies and asthma worse by disturbing and blowing the dust particles in the air.
• Bathe in cool water and use a mild soap without perfume or coloring.
• Wash your laundry in hot water with a temperature of 130 degrees or greater.
• Change your clothing after spending a lot of time outdoors to keep the pollen out of the house.
Battling Dry Lips
Severe lip dryness and chapping are caused by a number of factors during allergy season, including open-mouth breathing as a result of blocked passageways and the dehydrating effects of medications such as antihistamines.
Blistex Cold & Allergy Lip Soother has a special formula that glides on smoothly and feels soft when applied to sore lips to prevent further irritation. Special ingredients include pramoxine HCL, an advanced analgesic that alleviates sensitivity and lip soreness, pain and itchiness; dimethicone to prevent moisture loss and protect lips; glycerin, lanolin and sunflower seed oil to help remoisturize parched lips; and vitamins C and E, chamomile, green tea, honey and elderberry to comfort irritated lips.
For further information and lip care tips, visit www.Blistex.com.