Skip to main content

Carmichael Times

Got a Room or House for Short-Term Rental?

Apr 08, 2021 12:00AM ● By By Laurie Slothower, Sacramento County

SACRAMENTO COUNTY, CA - Got a room or a home you want to list, or are listing, on Airbnb or a related service? Sacramento County would like to remind homeowners that prior to accepting guests, short-term/vacation rentals require a permit and a business license, and they must register to pay transient occupancy taxes for visitors.

Short-term/vacation rentals are defined by stays of less than 30 days. Sacramento County updated its regulations in 2018 to clarify that houses and apartments cannot be used exclusively for short-term/vacation rentals. Rentals must be an “accessory use” to the property, meaning the owner must live in the house for at least six months of the year. 

The Board of Supervisors adopted this requirement to make sure short-term rentals do not disrupt neighborhoods and to limit traditional rental units from being converted to short-term use.

Stays of 30 days or longer do not require a permit.

If you are using your primary residence as a short-term rental, or are thinking of taking the plunge, please follow these steps: 

Review the guidelines and application materials for a Short Term Rental Permit; Apply for a General Business License. You will need to set up an account with the Department of Finance to complete the application. Please do not submit until after you have received your Short Term Rental Permit; Register with the Tax Collector’s Office for Transient Occupancy Tax returns once you have your business license.

For more information, please contact the Office of Planning and Environmental Review at [email protected] or the Business Licensing Division of the Department of Finance at [email protected].